The first official club in Cushendall was founded by Father George McKillop, an outstanding hurler, gaelic footballer and soccer player. During this period the CLG in Cushendall played both Hurling and Gaelic Football but in the 1920s emigration of several prominent players to New York and the defection of others to the nearby clubs of Cushendun Emmetts and Ossians Glenarriffe lead to the break-up of the club. Despite this Cushendall hurlers found success: six Cushendall men were part of the Emmetts team which won Cushendun's first and so far only Antrim Senior Hurling Championship in 1931 when thay beat the mighty O'Connell's of Belfast. Those players were John Gore, Denis McKeegan, John McNaughton, James McAlister, Neil Delargy and Alex Delargy whose two sons John and Malachy were on the first Ruairí Óg team to win the same championship 50 years later.
Cushendall men also contributed to championship wins in 1935 and 1937 by Glenarriffe Ossians and it was not uncommom for Cushendall players to move with bewildering frequency between Glenariffe and Cushendun.